Sunday, April 1, 2012

Morgan Hungerford West.

Raised on a strict diet of Happy Meals and Hot Dogs, it wasn't until my early 20s that I spent any significant amount of time in the kitchen. Newly vegetarian and living by myself, my Mom gifted me a handful of cookbooks that, as I made my way through each of them, taught me not only how to COOK but how to EAT - whole grains, Winter squash, and Thai food were all unknown entities until like 2001.
While my vegetarianism was short-lived, my interest in cooking - and cooking healthfully - endured (so, too, does a deep-seated fear of salmonella. A decade later and I'm still terrified of accidentally murdering my husband with an undercooked chicken breast). I'm in the kitchen five nights out of seven, and have turned into one of those people who substitutes low-fat Greek yogurt for anything white, sweetens only with Agave, and feels real panic when the coarse Sea Salt is running low.
That said - and please note - I am by no means above eating my weight in Pizza and/or Birthday Cake, on occasion. Especially if that occasion takes place around a dinner table, in communion with friends, family, and flattering lighting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home